Welcome


Nga mihi nui ki a koe. Our aim is to keep you in touch with recently purchased books, reviews and other library news and tidbits. I encourage you to subscribe or have posts conveniently emailed to you so don't 'miss the boat'.

Monday 11 June 2012

Doglands - Tim Willocks


Book review:

When I picked up the galley of DOGLANDS, a new fall 2011 YA novel by noted British crime fiction writer, physician (and dog owner) Tim Willocks, I had a reasonable expectation that I was the ideal reader for the book and would be sufficiently entertained by the story. What I did not expect was how completely bowled over I would be by this magnificent novel. DOGLANDS works on so many levels I don’t even know where to begin. For one thing, the novel is a page-turning adventure story about a brave young half-breed greyhound named Furgul, who after escaping a brutal camp where other purebred greyhounds are groomed for racing, goes in search of his father and also plots to rescue his mother who remains captive at the camp and whose life may be at risk. The twists and turns of the story will perhaps remind readers other great adventure stories – CALL OF THE WILD, WATERSHIP DOWN and INCREDIBLE JOURNEY—but the story has a much more contemporary feel. (Source: Randomactsofreading http://bit.ly/LtoqdG )

No comments:

Post a Comment